Ha Giang, Vietnam
Located at the start of the Ha Giang Loop, just 5km from the city, this is a Tay ethnic minority village. Local people live in traditional stilt houses with roofs made from dried palm leaves. For every traveller visiting this village, a fixed amount is donated back to the community fund used to support efforts to preserve local cultural and natural heritage. While most tourists stop only for a night before embarking on the loop, the Terraformers experience will give you a different perspective of this village. Dive into learning the cultural practices, local way of living when you embark on regenerative tourism activities designed to honour the local’s way of life.
How to get there:
- Nearest international airport: Hanoi Noi Bai International Airport
- Sleeper bus from Hanoi to Ha Giang City
- Pick up from Ha Giang city by host community
Past Travellers' Experiences
*Disclaimer: All activities are seasonal and weather dependent. Costs are estimates, please refer to the host community for the latest price list.
For the local experience seekers (<S$200)
- Self-exploration of village
- Buffalo herding
- Dinner with family
- Visiting the padi fields
- Trek to waterfall
- Swimming in the waterfall
- Making spring rolls for dinner
- Collecting bamboo from the forest to repair house
- Learning the traditional ways of engineering and building
Recommended by host community (S$150-S$350)
*Depending on the size of your group, you may reap economies of scale from sharing the cost of a local English-speaking facilitator.
- Gardening / fruit picking
- Prepare colourful sticky rice and spring rolls for lunch
- Buffalo herding
- Traditional handicrafts (kudzu bag or bracelets)
- Trekking on a valley-route up a mountain
- Picnic lunch
- Visit neighbouring village
- Swim in the waterfall
- Head to a red dao village for overnight stay
- Tea picking with local tea expert
- Trek back to village
More about the village
- Terraformers has worked with our local partner to design activities respecting the local culture and their relationship with nature.
- A community fund is established to support local people in efforts to preserve their culture.
- This village is located near the city center and it is suitable for individuals who are travelling solo for the first time or prefer somewhere less rural.
- If you would like to have the villagers’ take you on the Ha Giang Loop before/after your visit to the village, feel free to let our partner know upon booking confirmation.